Saturday, November 9, 2019

Falling into Leading

Things I’ve said at various times in my life:
  • I would never want to be a teacher.
  • I would never want to be a department chair.
  • I would never want to be a curriculum coordinator.
Things I’ve been: a teacher, a department chair, a curriculum coordinator.

I’ve been sucked into each position by a vacuum. I’ve felt at first like an imposter, scared of being found out. I’ve gradually grown into each role. (Here’s my reflection on growing into my teacher role.) How? I believe the key to all 3 is the same: becoming curious, a student of pedagogy and of my students (whether they are children or colleagues) as well as of my discipline, focused on the learning rather than the teaching—which is just structuring whatever experiences and environment cause the most learning—finding the courage to experiment and the community of like-minded peers for encouragement. 

Still, I don’t really feel like a leader. All I really want to do is to explore ways to make learning come alive for the kids in my classroom. But even then I am being a leader in my classroom. And I also want to share that journey with other teachers—look how life-giving this can be! What is life-giving for you in your classroom? Here’s this idea I think would be great, but I need help figuring out how it works and a community that won't let me forget it. 

Here are some things that have helped me along the way to think about a style of leading that may possibly be me:



 Being a “first follower” to transform a “lone nut” into a leader and begin a movement: While I don’t feel like a leader, Simon Sinek’s concept of “first follower” resonates with me. (Watch this 3-minute video for a great demonstration.)

 Hearing other educational leaders’ personal stories of being authentic, vulnerable, empathetic, and wise to help others be their best selves in schools. One great resource for this is Lead with Grace: Leaning into the Soft Skills of Leadership by Jessica Cabeen which I just finished last week. For the research, graphics, mnemonics, and variety of specific component skills, I’m going to circle back and read 2 other formative books for me (see the next 2 entries). 

 Being truly curious about other people’s perspectives can transform threatening conversations into productive ones. Crucial Conversations is the first book that helped me think about conflict in positive ways. I’m currently revisiting this book that I read and discussed with colleagues 7 years ago (see blog here). One of the skills I picked up then has even embedded itself into a literature unit as an essential question for A Doll’s House: "Why would a reasonable, rational, normal human being do that?" 
  
 Understanding that authenticity, curiosity, vulnerability, and empathy can be sources of strength rather than weakness when practiced with courage and wisdom. Brene Brown has helped me here. I’ve read 2 of her books in the last year and plan to re-read them sooner rather than later (Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts; Rising Strong: How the Ability to Reset Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead). For a taste of this researcher, writer, and speaker, see this 3-minute video on sympathy vs. empathy or this 20-minute TED Talk on vulnerability.
  
Isn’t education an adventure? I’d love to have some companions. What helps you think about how you lead in your classroom, school, and elsewhere?

No comments:

Post a Comment