- Create safety where students can share questions when they are confused.
- Model admitting when I don’t know things and looking them up.
- Be aware that English words can have many different meanings or connotations, depending on context, and explicitly teach them whenever the realization strikes.
- Share background knowledge when I anticipate misunderstandings (unfortunately, this mostly comes from experience).
- Remember (and remind students!) that while reading depends on background knowledge, it also grows background knowledge.
Most of all, I read, encourage my students to read, and talk with my colleagues about good books--sharing the joy, fueling the virtuous circle.